Hello and welcome
Welcome to Antinous for Everybody, a blog devoted to the Greek-Egyptian-Roman god Antinous, his revived worship in the 21st century, and your blogger’s attempts at practicing polytheism, including devotion to Antinous. Here are some things you should know about Antinous:
- Antinous was a historical person, a young man from Bithynia, a province of the Roman Empire near what is now called the Black Sea.
- He was the lover of the Emperor Hadrian.
- He was deified according to Egyptian custom when he drowned in the Nile. To drown in the Nile conferred union with Osiris, the god of life in the afterworld.
- He was not deified because the Emperor was his boyfriend, but his worship would likely not have become widespread if he hadn’t been connected to Hadrian.
- His worship did spread throughout the Empire, promoted by Hadrian with the founding of a city on the site of his death, building of temples, and holding of games in his honor, until it was suppressed along with other pagan cultus by the Church.
- Antinous is not just “a gay god” or a god for gay men or a god of being gay. He is a god of poetry, athletic competition, love, hunting, and the mysteries of apotheosis, just to scratch the surface, who was and is available to anyone who prays to him.
- If you want to know everything there is to know about Antinous and his revived worship, visit the Aedicula Antinoi, his virtual shrine and one of the best blogs I’ve ever read.
A few things you might want to know about me, your blogger:
- I am not a gay man. In fact, I’m a bisexual cisgender woman.
- I’m also a writer and musician, and I work in my city’s public library.
- I grew up a High Church Episcopalian, but I’ve been interested in comparative religion and mythology for as long as I could read.
- I’ve explored Wicca, Druidry, Tibetan Buddhism, and generic neopaganism on my way to discovering Antinous.
- I’m new to the worship of Antinous, but I feel a strong devotion to him.
- I’m a citizen, that is, a member of the Ekklesía Antínoou–-a queer, Graeco-Roman-Egyptian syncretist reconstructionist polytheist group dedicated to Antinous, the deified lover of the Roman Emperor Hadrian, and related deities and divine figures (a direct quote from the founder of the E.A., P. Sufenas Virius Lupus).
- I honor a spread of Greek, Roman, and Egyptian gods, along with various ancestors and spirits.
- I really, really, really like birds. My significant other, in a non-sexual sense, is my cockatiel, Rembrandt.